Re: [TowerTalk] Combined Dipoles

To: Bill Turner <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Combined Dipoles
From: John Tait <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:24:57 +0100

Bill Turner wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:34:51 -0700 (PDT), Larry Boekeloo
> <> wrote:
>>  If I cut a dipole for 80 meters, 40 meters and 30 meters and connect them
>> all to the same balun, would they at some point resonate on the correct
>> frequencies with some tweaking?
> ------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------
> Yes, they will work very well indeed. My low-band antennas here are
> three inverted vees connected together just as you describe. I have 160,
> 80 and 40 meter antennas with the apex at 70 feet and the elements
> fanned out so they are about 20 feet apart at the ends. When I first put
> it up I expected a lot of tuning would be required because of
> interaction but there was remarkably little tweaking required.
> For anyone running high power, I highly recommend this instead of a
> trapped dipole/vee. Over the years I have smoked several traps that
> supposedly were rated for 1500 watts, but this antenna really is capable
> of full legal limit, brick on the key, no problem at all.
> 73, Bill W6WRT
      My 160,80 and 40m dipoles are at 45ft, with the widest angle
possible between dipole legs. As Bill says, this system works very well.
Mine has almost 1:1 SWR on all three bands. Check out all the other
bands too, as you may find that it works on some other bands with a good
SWR. Mine works well on 30m, and very well on 17m. What extra bands you
get will depend on height, angle between wires, location etc etc.
  I mainly use it for local QSOs, as I use vertical dipoles for Low Band
    Vy 73
       John EI7BA