Re: [TowerTalk] Highway light poles

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Highway light poles
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:27:39 -0700
Scott W3TX wrote:
> The significant limiting issue for the light poles is the windload and
> weight they are engineered to carry with regard to the appropriate
> engineering analysis ie. EIA-TIA-222-F (or G, depending upon locality).

If you're talking about the poles with a cluster of 8 big luminaires up
top, I suspect they've got plenty of load margin for antennas.

They're typically mounted to a fairly deep pier or caisson (30 ft deep 5
feet in diameter, for one I saw)

The base is secured with a dozen or so 2" bolts, so it can take a pretty
hefty bending load. The base is probably 16-20" in diameter (without the

They've started installing new freeway signs near where I live, and
they're of comparable size, not necessarily height, but certainly in
loads.  The post supports a fairly large sign that's cantelievered over
the road.  The sign is a steel truss, 10ft high, 30 feet wide, and maybe
5 feet thick, with a big flat plane of a sign on it.  I'd imagine
they're designed to take a 0.6g seismic load as well.