Re: [TowerTalk] Ultrabeam

To: jim Jarvis <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ultrabeam
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:56:25 -0700
jim Jarvis wrote:
> Looks for all the world like a contravention of the SteppIR patent,
> although I haven't
> researched it to be sure.    There appear to be some mechanical

Does SteppIR have a patent in Italy (or EU in general)?  if not, making
the product there and selling it there doesn't have any impact on
whether they infringe a US Patent.

A quick search of the European database ( only shows
two patent applications for Mertel in inventor and antenna in title, and
Applications US2007/229386 and US2002/171598.

I wouldn't even begin to know what the current treaty/mutual
prosecuction mechanism is.  15 years ago, you had to separately apply
for patents in each country, and they may or may not grant them.

> One certainty:   At EU1600,  I'm not buying one!

That's a lot less than a SteppIR in Italy...
at least one dealer is charging just under 2000 Euro for the 3 element
SteppIR without the 6 meter or 30/40 kit.

Jim, W6RMK