Re: [TowerTalk] Ultrabeam

To: "Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ultrabeam
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:57:15 -0700 (PDT)
Scott MacKenzie wrote:
> I suppose if one could go to the trouble of creating a replica of a dead
> sea
> scroll, or the shroud of Turin,  one could create an engineering notebook
> documenting prior
> design and protection under italian law.    Or, maybe it really exists.

Even if your notebook is believed, you have to file in a reasonable
time, or your invention is considered abandoned.  I invented a
step recovery diode circuit, wrote it up in my lab notebook and
filed an invention disclosure.  My company never filed a patent
application and 5 years later another company reinvented it and
patented it.  My prior art not only did not invalidate this patent
(because I never published it) but it didn't even allow us to
practice the invention.  IOW, it was like my invention never existed.
Even the existence of a prototype didn't matter.

Rick N6RK