Re: [TowerTalk] How to run my 400' feedlines?

To: Dan Levin <djl@andlev.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to run my 400' feedlines?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 01:37:44 -0400
Dan Levin wrote:
> I am in the process of moving my tower, which requires me to re-cable the
> feedlines.  The new runs will be roughly 400', and I think I am going to use
> LDF5-50A Heliax
> The question is how to run the cable.  The options are:
>
> 1) Direct burial in a ~18" deep trench.  I don't think that running conduit
> is going to be an option.  Is Heliax "rated" for direct burial?  Does it
> matter?

Although the loss in 400 feet of LDF-50 would certainly be low even on
VHF, I've found LDF-50 to be a tad fragile when it comes to mechanical
things.  I started to install it and changed to LMR-600. Over 400 feet
the 600 only has a few tenths of a db more loss and is not nearly so
sensitive to kinking while being handled.  It's probably a bit more than
the LDF-50 at $1.29 a foot which is what I paid last year.  I don't know
what it is now. Crip connectors are much cheaper for the LMR-600 as well
although http://www.surplusserver.com/products/Antennas-Coax/index.html
has some pretty good prices.
> 2) Run the cables through the trees at about 8' up in the air.  This is
> obviously not as good aesthetically, and I've had some problems with current
> on the shield of previous "hung in the air" feedlines - but it may be the
> only option if direct burial is out...

Although I'd be uncomfortable running LDF-50 underground, I'd be more
uncomfortable running it through the trees.  For Andrew coax my choice
would be the 7/8" Heliax although it's usually quite a bit more, or I'd
go for a cable designed for direct burial.  The extra cost  is good
insurance.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI)