Re: [TowerTalk] Who is Antennex ?

To: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Who is Antennex ?
From: Bill MacLane <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:08:50 -0700 (PDT)
Couldn't have said it better Dan.  Antennex has a bunch of free articles and
online books on the site as well as the pay-for things. All of L.B. Cebik's
work is there.  I too would like a no password to use site, but for all the
nay-sayers on this list the site is still FREE.  Search engines find it.  All
that is needed is to sign in.  If someone is too lazy to sign up then too bad.
They loose the privilege of using the information.  I have been a subscriber to
antennex and use the free stuff.  I think the prices for all the pay items is
way too high.  So I will continue to use it and sign in, no big deal.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

73

Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net> wrote: >  nowhere do
>  I see the call of the person responsible for antennex. I did find the name
> (or,
>  perhaps, psuedonym) "Jack L. Stone" listed as publisher.

For what it's worth, I've exchanged emails with Jack Stone (not a
pseudonym; an lack of an amateur license isn't proof that someone does
not exist, and a lack of a QRZ entry is not proof that one doesn't
have an amateur license.  Do a "whois" on antennex.com. )

As it says on the website, this change was planned before LB Cebik's
death.  It is consistent with the way AntenneX does things; that is,
even the free areas require a login.  They're still there for us to
use.

I don't agree with him that the use of a login is the best way to keep
Cebik's work online; I actually kind of think this sort of thing
breaks the internet, but he did give me some hope that he will be
working on the broken link/search engine issue. However, most
importantly, he's a real person and was a real friend of Dr. Cebik's,
and through my correspondence I've decided it is best to take it easy
on him at this time of loss.

I'd encourage others to do the same... if nothing else, recognize that
Jack Stone isn't a faceless corporation.  I am also upset that
www.cebik.com is not out free and clear on the internet for people to
stumble upon, but if you do feel you must be heard on this issue, just
be aware that I am convinced that Jack Stone has no malicious intent
here.  It's not a ploy to sell CD's.  It is a bandwidth restriction
tool, and he is someone who just lost a good friend.

So, I understand the displeasure, I have it myself, but let's keep in
mind that Jack Stone is a grieving friend and not go down the road of
imagining he's a pseudonymous spook just because we can't quite figure
out what his call is (and no, I don't know; I don't even know if he
has one)

73,
Dan

Bill