[TowerTalk] Guy rope damping

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy rope damping
From: AI1P Matt Steven <KD0BVK@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:05:58 -0500
Hello,

I have a vertical antenna on a rooftop tripod that is guyed with
stranded nylon rope.  The rope naturally gets vibrating very heavily in
wind probably due to its uneven surface and it really can sing.

The problem is that the house hook it ties to is anchored (necessarily)
to a roof joist for support and these vibrations transfer right into my
bedroom making for plenty of banshees on windy nights.

What I've tried so far to dampen it:

1) Wrap the anchoring hook very thickly with electrical tape.  little/no
effect

2) Use scrap coax to absorb some of the vibration on the string as it
comes in, before it touches the metal of the hook (acts as padding
basically) little effect, the coax redirects some of the vibration but
not enough to notice.

3) Same as 2 but running the actual tie-off to further down the roof,
and just having the hook as a guide point.  Not much effect.

I can't afford Phillystran or anything really nice like that, so that's
out of the question, but is there any way to stay on the cheap and at
least get the vibration to stop resonating in the rafters?

73s,
Matt
ai1p