Re: [TowerTalk] Any reason not to use commercial CATV connectors?

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Any reason not to use commercial CATV connectors?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 00:15:56 -0400
David Gilbert wrote:

> Roger (K8RI) wrote:
>> As has been mentioned, finding something to mate with either N or UHF
>> connectors might be a bit tough.
>
> I've played around with plumbing fittings to make connectors for 1/2
> Heliax and several months ago back came up with the following.  One of
> these days I'll write it up with pictures and stick it on my website,
> but in the meantime ...
>
> Home Depot sells a brass fitting that makes a very nice adapter for
> female UHF connectors (UG-363, SO-239 barrels).  The fitting is made
> by Watts, comes in a little plastic bag with a green stripe at the
> top, and goes by the designator "A-200".  It has female threads on one
> end that are identical to UHF threads, and on the other end is a
> compression fitting that (if you remove the compression sleeve) fits
> very well into 1/2 inch copper plumbing tube.  The A-200 fits just a
> bit sloppy in the lightweight schedule M type copper tube but the
> joint is still solderable.  If you use the more standard and slightly
> thicker walled schedule L type copper tubing, just a touch with a file
> on the A-200 threads makes a really nice snug fit.  I always solder
> that joint (before connecting the UHF barrel) , but I'm pretty sure it
> would be possible to simply screw the A-200 into the relatively soft
> schedule L copper tube if you were careful with the file.  If I
> remember correctly, the A-200 sells for about $3.
>
> By the way, 5/32 inch OD brass tubing makes a nice snug-fitting pin to
> mate with the UHF barrel.  The best source I've found for all sorts of
> brass tubing is, surprisingly enough, online at Ace Hardware Outlet
> (www.acehardwareoutlet.com).*   *They sell all diameters and wall
> thicknesses of brass tubing that, with a little bit of creativity in
> combining them, can be mated to just about any kind of cable center
> conductor.  Here's a link to some of the 5/32 inch tube in 12 inch
> lengths, but they sell it in longer lengths as well.
> *http://tinyurl.com/3efvb6*  (bottom of the page).
I just use the 1/2" brass coupling for PL259s. It fits the half inch
hard line just fine.  I trim the jacket back far enough the center
connector will fit through a PL259.  I slide the half inch in one end of
the coupling and the PL250 barrel from the other end. I try to but the
barrel against the shield. Tighten both ends and solder the center
conductor into the PL250.  It takes a little extra tightening on the
PL259 as the barrel is a slightly loose fit.   I kept one around here
for an example for years, but I think it went out the last time I
cleaned up in the shop.  (Actually found the floor)

I like the 3/4" Hard line, but found the half inch to be far too fragile
for my work.

Roger (K8RI)