Re: [TowerTalk] Matching Sections - Modified Yagi

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Matching Sections - Modified Yagi
From: "Julio Peralta" <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:41:47 -0400
Most V-UHF beams use a T match and a coax balun, al la the M2 design, on
the driven element. I don't believe the standard yagi balun that is used
for a tri-bander will be very effective at 2M and above. I believe the
ARRL antenna manuals show how to make one.

Julio, W4HY

From: "Scott MacKenzie" Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 16:00:12 -0400

Thanks Ralph.

I have the manual - I was able to download it.  One issue that I have,
that I substantially modified the antenna.  The only thing I kept was
matching section and the driven element.  Everything else was changed
for the spacing.  All the other dimensions of the elements were changed.
Instead of the three reflectors that came with the antenna, it was
with a single reflector.  When I did the modeling, the impedance was
calculated to be about 13 ohms, so using a 4:1 step-up balun, I should
it at 50 ohms.  I am just not sure why they used the 75 ohm coax.  Seems
me, the impedance must have been higher.  Also the length of the
section seems way too short.  The balun that was on the matching section
when I got it, was 2 feet long.  If I back calculate the frequency for
the 2
feet of RG-11 and apply a velocity factor of 78%, the frequency works
out to
be 191.9 MHz - it should be much longer!

I know I really should measure at the end of the coax - I just didn't
have a
good way to measure it, without dragging out the rig and extension
etc.  I may have a handheld that I could use (I guess I could borrow the

Just doesn't make a lot of sense.  I guess I will just try making a new
balun and see what happens.  But I really hate the "cut and guess"