[TowerTalk] kevlar/spectra cable with fiberoptic core?

To: Tower Talk List <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] kevlar/spectra cable with fiberoptic core?
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 08:47:53 -0700
OK, so it's HF antenna related, but for one that doesn't have a tower
involved (a kite/balloon instead).. a "virtual tower" perhaps.

I'm looking for an inexpensive source for a cable that is strong (>100
lb breaking strength) that carries one or more fiber optic strands in
lengths > 200 ft.  What's inexpensive?  1/8" steel cable is about
$0.50/ft.  1/4" spectra is about $1/ft. terminated duplex single mode
fiber is about $1/ft as well.  So, in the range of $500 for a 200 ft

Some standard fiberoptic cables have aramid (kevlar, spectra) strength
members, but I don't know if they're really designed to take tension
continuously, or if it's only for protecting the fiber when pulling
through a conduit.

Steel cable with fiberoptic is another possibility, but, I'd rather have
something nonconductive.  Needs to be able to be wound in and out on a
reel too.

Jim, W6RMK