Re: [TowerTalk] excavator

To: towertalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] excavator
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 23:30:38 -0400
David Gilbert wrote:
> Its from Onion wrote:
>> For the life of me cannot see why ham folks love square holes, much easer to
>> dig round
>> ones.
> What makes you think it is discretionary for the average ham?
> 1.  Backhoes generally dig square holes.  An auger large enough to dig a
> large hole is going to be much larger and more expensive than a backhoe.
I had a backhoe dig the hole for my new tower.  It wasn't round and it
sure wasn't square.  More like womperjawed, I would say.
> 2.  Rebar cages are easier to build square.  Admittedly a minor point,
> but one I'm sure that influences typical engineering practice.
It didn't keep Heights Towers from building round ones.  All you need is
a rebar bender and a form/jig to hold the pieces while you weld or tie
> 3.  Engineering drawings from the tower manufacturer almost always call
> out square holes.  A building inspector would very likely disapprove a
> deviation from square to round.  Yes, you can hire an engineer to
> generate new drawings for a round hole, but ...
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E
I'm glad you said "almost always."  See for the exception that may (or
may not) prove the rule.

Since Virginia's legislature passed our ham tower law, local building
inspectors don't even require a permit for a tower, let alone care
whether you are digging round or square holes for the base.  When I see
all the grief that other folks have in getting permits, variances, etc.,
it makes this old transplanted Texan happy to live in
Virginia....something I never thought I would say.  Just so you folks
don't get the idea that this is a laissez faire, libertarian state, I
would remind you that it is illegal to use a radar detector in your
vehicle in Virginia. :-)

Ken K4XL

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at and
FTP site info: login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr