[TowerTalk] Birdies and chokes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Birdies and chokes
From: "Scott Nichols" <snichols@mvosprey.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:03:47 -0300
Please excuse the slightly off-topic question # 2, but this reflector has the
most knowledgeable people of all the ham reflectors I know of...

1) I have a Hy-Gain EXP-14 beam at 50 feet...Feedline length to the shack is
approximately 80 feet, PL-259 to PL-259...The beam has a factory supplied
balun...Could someone please tell me if I need a choke at the feedpoint of the
antenna...If so, what type ?...I've read so many differing views on this that
my head is spinning...I don't have RFI issues, SWR is great on all bands, but I
seem to have a lot of RX noise on this antenna...

2)I have "birdies" (constant tones) on numerous frequencies on my Mark V, that
have just shown up in the last year or so...Some of the freq's I remember are
14.336, 10.122, 21.015, 14.030...I have unplugged everything in sight trying to
locate it's source, but no luck...Do these freq's ring any bells with anyone
?...Could it be a problem with the Mark V..?

Thanks,

Scott VE1OP