Re: [TowerTalk] rotor question

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k9kl@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotor question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 23:38:29 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/2008 9:03:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I was just doing some of the planned antenna/tower work here  lately.Went
up
tower 1 which is 80 feet of Rohn 45.Noticed the mast clamp  on the M2 Orion
2800 is loose AGAIN.It loosens up from the rotor.The clamp  is tight on the
mast.It turns true,I have a flat plate on the top with a  bearing and the
rotor is mounted 10 feet down.I used the supplied 3/8th  bolts with the
Ny-lock nuts.It had roughly 18 sq feet of windload on  it.
I like the rotor,its tough.But this is the 3rd time they  have loosened
up on me.Am I doing something wrong?Should I use some red  Lock-tite,try some
different bolts/nuts?

    Whoever suggested LokTite isn't even close. Kurt,  K7NV, has a nice
little treatise enumerating the 2 fatal Orion mast clamp  problems but I
couldn't
find it on his website. Maybe someone can post  it.

    In the over 200 ham installs that I've done there  have been numerous
Orion installs and virtually 100% of them loosened up.  Basically the problems
are caused by 1) the dimpled surface that the nuts and  bolts seat on. The
dimples get worn down and - voila! -  loose fasteners!  Kurt polishes the
surfaces
and that eliminates the loose nuts. 2) is the  crappy clamping by the
not-in-alignment teeth inside the clamp. You actually  wind up with VERY LITTLE
actual
clamping area (miniscule comes to mind). Kurt  smooths his down by hand and
they hold better. Not great - but better. The  solution to this is the LXC
Orion clamp. Sorry, it's not currently on the  website but if you're
interested,
I'll be happy to forward you a couple of  pictures of it. It's hefty steel,
hot-dipped galvanized and used 6 husky  U-bolts to hold the mast. End of mast
problems. $160.00 + s/h.

    Those in the know these days buy the Green Heron  controller too. NOW
you've got an xlnt rotator.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH