Re: [TowerTalk] "Array Of Light"

To: Rob Frohne <rob.frohne@wallawalla.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Array Of Light"
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:42:15 -0400
Rob Frohne wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I would like to read his document as well, and I don't have it either.
>
> If I understand it right, I used to put up my four element quad this
> way.  I would assemble the elements onto the boom when it was mounted on
> the tower at about 12 feet using a cherry ladder.  Then I would use the
> gin pole to pull it up the tower.  When I got to a guy line, I would
> unhook it from the turnbuckle at the bottom of the tower and snake the
> guy around the quad boom.  The difficulty was with the top guy line.
> You have to loosen all of them to do that, and you are working on top

With a TH-5 Tribander, a 7L C3i six meter 29' long Yagi, and the 144/440
arrays on a cross boom I did not have to loosen any guys.
I took the 144/440 system up first, then the 7LC3i, and finally the
tribander.  I took them up edge wise supported by the rope to the gin
pole. IOW with the elements vertical and the boom horizontal. When I'd
reach a set of guys I'd simply rotate the boom around the guy anchor
point.  So the elements that had pointed up now pointed down.  When I
reached the top guys, I not only rotated the tribander in the vertical
plane, but rotated it around the top of the tower.   It was relatively
easy work for me as all I had to do was position the antennas while the
help on the ground raised and or held the antennas in place via the
rope.  It only took about three times longer than just climbing the
tower.  OTOH tramming is far, far, easier. (if you have the room)

73

Roger (K8RI)
www.rogerhalstead.com