[TowerTalk] LMR400 vs BuryFlex

Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR400 vs BuryFlex
From: Rudy Bakalov <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 18:44:33 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,
  As I am getting closer to having the new tower and antennas go up, questions
that I have never considered in the past keep on coming up.  One of them is the
choice of coax.
  As the title suggests, I am trying to decide between LMR400 and BuryFlex.  I
estimate that I will need a total of 1000' to connect all 4 beams, the phasing
lines, 2 cables to the shack, etc.  The max distance between an antenna and the
shack will be less than 300' (or 0.3db loss).
  I like the LMR400 option due to its lower cale loss and cost.  However, I
don't understand the practical impact of the fact that LMR400 is NOT
non-contaminating- is there going to be any impact from bundling cables,
attaching them to the tower legs, etc.?  The cables will go in a PVC conduit
between the tower and the shack.
  I do recognize the difference in flexibility (and its applicability to
rotating antennas) and my solution is to have a 10' BuryFlex attached to each
yagi, followed by whatever length of LMR400. I have to install Polyphaser coax
in-line protectors anyway and I will install them between the 10' BuryFlex and
LMR400 sections.
  Any thoughts?  The difference in cost is about $150 at 1000'
  Rudy N2WQ