Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question]

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower ground question]
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:48:30 -0700

The tower is Cadweld bonded to every single stick of rebar at the bottom
of the cage, representing 16 cross pieces each 9 feet long (eight sticks
in each direction) plus the bottom perimeter rebar comprised of two
pieces 20 feet long that were bent and overlapped to form a square shape
9 feet on a side.  That was a lot of Cadwelds, but I bought the graphite
mold (actually two of them) as unused surplus on eBay, and I got the
weld metal powder also from eBay (different vendor) for less than $1 per
shot.  The other end of the copper wire was Cadweld bonded to the tower
base using a different mold I found on eBay for attaching wire to flat,
vertical steel.  I can give you the model numbers of the molds if you're
interested ... Erico has a pdf document on their website describing most
of their molds.

I didn't Cadweld bond the sides of the rebar cage because I didn't feel
they would be a direct path to ground anyway.  The base of the HD-70
tower extends per the manufacturer's specification all the way down to
within 6 inches of the bottom of the concrete, so lightning energy would
actually have to travel back "upward" to exit the sides of the foundation.

By the way, I discovered that making your own mold is not really very
difficult.  Check out http://tinyurl.com/5scf35 * *

I mentioned in the page on making my own Cadweld that I was thinking of
making my own weld powder.  I eventually did so and I would strongly
recommend NOT doing it.  The materials are trivially easy to get, but
the particle size is pretty important.  The stuff I got on eBay
(aluminum powder, copper oxide) was pretty finely ground, and it reacted
so quickly that it just flashed.  At least I was cautious enough to test
a very small portion of it behind a shield before trying it in a mold
... I think it would have been a bomb with larger quantities confined in
a small space.  I need to edit that portion of the web page ;)

73,
Dave  AB7E