Re: [TowerTalk] new member with tower question

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] new member with tower question
From: "Patrick J. Jankowiak" <>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 21:12:44 -0500
Good point. I am looking for opinions and I appreciate yours.

It's early in the planning, not consulted anyone yet except a guy that
makes a living putting up towers large and small, ham and commercial. He
is not an engineer.

Richards wrote:
> Please do not take offense, but why not ask this question of
> 1)  the tower manufacturer, and/or  2) a qualified structural
> engineer.  I ask this because I worry that you plan to stray
> so far from the original design that you really need to re-engineer
> the structural load distribution and all.
> I do not mean to suggest you not ask the question here, or that
> those who post here are not qualified to comment.  I just
> wondered whether you have sought out such assistance, and,
> if not, I am curious why not - and, if so, what they said.
> Just MY take.   ///////  K8JHR  ///////
> patrick jankowiak wrote:
>> It looks like I cannot economically put up my 56FT tower due to
>> "caliche" being 1-2FT under the soil.
>> I would like to try putting up 40-50FT of  Rohn 25 on a sturdy base
>> and guy it. The space is limited, so a combination of guying and a
>> strong base should work well, rather than just one or the other

kind regards,

Patrick Jankowiak
- 19th RGT. Texas State Guard
- MEMS Basic Certified
- FCC: General RTO
- Amateur Radio: KD5OEI [extra]
- American Radio Relay League
- Royal Order of the Wouff-Hong
- Vintage Radio - Phonograph Society
- Military Vehicle Preservation Association
- Sponsor: Christian Childrens Fund
- Master: