Re: [TowerTalk] my long lightning story (was RE: lightning strike)

To: Charles Gallo <>, towertalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] my long lightning story (was RE: lightning strike)
From: Jim Lux <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 06:44:08 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

Lots of qualifiers there: "can induce" and "as high as", but, the risk is real,
although the vast majority of strikes a mile away won't do anything more than
give you a burst of static in your radio.

I would guess that the vast majority of lightning damage occurs from lightning
striking a utility service of some sort (power line, phone, cable tv), and the
impulse propagating into a home that way.  No real backup for the statement, by
the way, just the impression I get from the literature in general.

>One interesting item of note, and this article is making me "think" (a bad
>This weekend I got a tour of a USCG Cutter (The Katherine Walker WLM 552), and
>something I noticed when we walked past the LAN room - they are NOT using
>100BaseT LANs, but everything is fibre optics

That's for a lot of reasons.  EMP is one, and just general EMI/EMC issues as

>I wonder if fibre (which, interestingly is mostly "the past" in LAN design, as
>gigabit baseT is around) would be the/A future way to deal with our gear.
>Think - no ground loop potential, no voltage surge potential etc.  Not cheap,
>by a long shot, but...

Fiber is wonderful.  Even the inexpensive plastic stuff (used in stereo
equipment, for instance) gives you all the benefit.

Copper will have a long life for networks, because the infrastructure already
exists.  However, there's an awful lot of fiber being put in for backbone links
and such.