[TowerTalk] US Tower TX-472

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower TX-472
From: "Tom Martin" <tmartin@chartermi.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 13:52:12 -0500
I lost my tower and antennas a few weeks ago in a storm and I am now
considering a UST crank up.  I received a decent price on the TX-472, with
shipping from their Kansas plant a big break in costs.  However, the size of
the top section is a concern.  I have the C.A.T.S. RD-1800 rotor and, according
to their e-mails, this won't fit in the 12 1/2" section.  The medium duty
HyGain rotors are the only ones recommended.  I want to have a StepIR 4 element
6-20 and a 2 element 40 meter beam on the mast.

I really like the RD-1800.  It has turned a 5 element 20, 2 element 40, and 3
element 10 meter beam w/o a problem for 5 years.  I can't see going to a
lighter duty rotor because of UST's small top section.

The Tashjian LM-470 top section is wider and I would have no problem but the
shipping from CA would be quite expensive.

I can't climb anymore and the crank up is the best choice for me.

Does anyone have a comment about the rotor issue.  I can't believe that all UST
TX series owners are using Ham IV, or CD-45 rotors.

73,  Tom W8JWN