Re: [TowerTalk] Faraday Cage

To: <warrenwolff@aol.com>, <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, <sanorm@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Faraday Cage
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:40:36 -0700

I had an interesting experience with Faraday Cages, Screen Rooms at the Navy
School, Monterey, in 1986.
We needed one in an Oceanography Computing Research Lab, and the Public Works
department took a bunch
of stored, bolt together Screen Room panels  that had wooden frames inside, and
 double surfaces of fine copper mesh screen.  The panels were
6 each, forming a cage about 15ft long, by 8 ft by 8ft.  They had large filters
of the AC mains that filtered incoming and outgoing RF
to the cage.  The cage panels  had long, bolted clamps that pressed the
panels together on the edges, insuring  firm (?) contact between panel edges of
the fine mesh screen.  The panels wee
old, in storage for some years, and the copper screens had a uniform patina of
brown, copper oxide.

The door must have been expensive, precision constructed,  with a brass/copper
structure, and close fitting phosphor-bronze finger stock firmly compressed
around  the complete door frame when it was closed.
As a first check of effectiveness after they bolted the screen room together, I
 took a battery powered AM/FM table radio inside and closed the door, and it
played almost perfectly, Both AM and FM,  with  little attenuation.   HUH?!  We
worked for some time to get it RF tight, and found that the devil is in the
details on assembly...

Turns out that the "patina" on the copper, and simple clamping the frames
together, produced very leaky joints, that had to be worked on
extensively (cleaned and tightly clamped) to get them to be RF sealed. The door
frame surfaces also had to be burnished to bright metal to get a good RF tight
seal.

73,
All the best,
Pat Barthelow    (916) 315-9271