Re: [TowerTalk] antenna analyzers

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna analyzers
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:44:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: 2008/06/02 Mon PM 01:38:53 EDT
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] antenna analyzers

<snip>

 I guess the two things I think
of to complain about are that it doesn't tell me if reactance is L or C and
it's a battery eater (10 AAs).   I try to minimize the use of mine on
battery power and wish changing batteries didn't involve removing the
cover.   You should check them every 6 months to make sure they aren't
leaking.

73

rob / k5uj

<snip>

     Something I learned on these pages a few years ago:  To save battery life
on the -259's, insert a dummy 1/8 inch power plug into the receptacle while
it's not in use.  This totally disconnects the internal batteries from the set.

     Also, to determine + or - J, increase the freq on the -259 a bit.  If the
reactance goes up with freq it's inductive.  If it goes down with increasing
freq, it's capacitive.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F