Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 LMR-600 Equivalent (and stuff)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-400 LMR-600 Equivalent (and stuff)
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:42:08 -0400
>>> "kinking" cat 5 doesn't hurt anything unless you mess up the insulation
in
the process.  I've had customers help me with installs and pull too hard on
the cable not giving me time to straighten it out before it hits something
and kinks.  Not at all as critical as coax is.  It's great stuff to work
with compared to coax.

Also, check out these tools if you are working with cat 5.  Makes life a LOT

easier!
http://www.telephoneparts.com/product/EZRJ45?gclid=CI29_YnX2JMCFR4sagod7jJ4Y
You have to have the special crimper to use those.  Makes perfect
connections every single time though!  Very nice stuff.

For a stripper I've not found anything easier or more cost effective than:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102881&cp=2032058.203
2236.2032310&parentPage=family

Acckkk.  Using CAT 5 at 100 MHz might be OK for a sloppy job.  However, if
you use it at 1 GHz speeds, a kink will cause dramatical "bumps".  If you
are even thinking about a 1 GHz run, you should be using Cat 6 or the newer
CAT 7, if it's available.  With Cat 5, you might be really lucky if you can
get a full GHz speed on a run over 20 ft if the cable is in good shape.
It's best to treat it like your running fiber, no sharp bends.

Jim, KR9U