Re: [TowerTalk] HAM III x HAM IV and others

To: Rob Frohne <rob.frohne@wallawalla.edu>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HAM III x HAM IV and others
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 14:32:13 -0400
I have stayed out of this discussion because things mechanical are not
my strong suit, and I have had my share of rotor problems lately.  At
any rate, several months ago I had a discussion with Craig, the owner of
the C.A.T.S. rotor repair service, regrading the suitability of the Ham
series and the T2X for turning big antennas.  According to Craig, if you
don't try to turn the T2X in heavy winds, its brake can withstand the
stresses.  It's only when you release the brake and allow the stresses
to act directly on the gears that you may suffer damage in high winds.

He also went on to say that there was relatively little difference in
the ruggedness and turning capacity between the T2X and the Ham Series
(II, III, IV) of rotors for inside the tower installations.  The T2X,
because of its mechanical construction, provides a more rugged
installation for mast mounted rotors, but they're all about equivalent
when mounted inside the tower.

FWIW and YMMV.

73, Joe
K2XX