Re: [TowerTalk] Hindsight: Check your rotator bolts

To: Rob Frohne <rob.frohne@wallawalla.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hindsight: Check your rotator bolts
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 00:46:12 -0400
Rob Frohne wrote:
> Hi Dick,
>
> I used aircraft bolts, after I had re-drilled and tapped the holes.  The
> aircraft bolts have wires through them so that they won't turn.  I'm not
> sure how Roger does it.  He must have a T2X that has bolts all the way
> through the housings.

Nothing wrong with using aircraft bolts other than they are expensive.
They have rolled threads instead of cut threads to prevent stress
risers.  They come both drilled and undrilled as well as drilled through
the threads or drilled through the head.  You have to specify if you
want drilled and how. (There's a whole naming scheme for aircraft
hardware)   Also castle nuts with SS cotter keys work well in *some*
applications. I don't like the Nylok (TM) nuts as they degrade in sunlight.

73

Roger (K8RI)