To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 66, Issue 32
From: RTTYMAN@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:14:58 EDT
Brian:

I would suggest replacing all of them. They are not that expensive consider
the work they do to keep your tower in the air & you sleeping with one less
thing to think, or worry about.

I would also suggest not placing them back on the wire where the old ones
were. Place them on a different portion of the wire. The old ones have
"crimped"
 or "compressed" the wire rope strands. Also, do look for broken strands of
wire  that make up the actual EHS itself.

Please be sure you are putting them on correctly. The old adage about  this
is "never saddle a dead horse."
This refers to the U-bolt itself and the other piece called a Saddle. When
you make a loop with the wire, you have what's called a bitter, or "dead" end.
That's the short piece of wire that has been looped around a wire rope
thimble  and then laid back on itself. The other part of the wire ... the long
one
that  goes to another insulator or clamp is called the "standing piece."

I'd call it cheap insurance!

GL & 73.

Les, NN6K