[TowerTalk] dipole in space question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] dipole in space question
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:59:20 -0700
Why does a dipole in space have a radiation pattern shaped like a doughnut i.e.
no or less radiation off the ends of the dipole?

Related to this question: Why is the radiation from a dipole over ground have
its strongest radiation from the center of the dipole.
Yes the current is strongest at the center, but why?

I have tried to find the explanation in a dozen or more antenna books but to no
avail.  I can speculate but perhaps some Towertalkians can explain it or offer
their speculation?

k7puc