[TowerTalk] HDX-589 Tower Motor

To: towertalk@lists.contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] HDX-589 Tower Motor
From: Brian Moran <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 20:37:04 -0700 (PDT)
I have had my HDX-589 tower up for just over 2 years. The marathon TEFC motor,
1HP, is making a heck of a bearing noise -- a radical change from it's
operation a couple of months ago. I took it apart, and the front sealed bearing
(closest to the sheave) has a little runout, and is the one responsible for the
noise.

So, if you have an HDX589, would be interested in hearing about whether you've
found the same issue. I would hate to have this motor fail when the tower
needed to go up or down.

I am going to order a replacement; grainger has dayton equivalents ($303!),
however this particular Marathon motor seems to be available from harbor
freight:

Item 4106 - VGA - 1HP Agricultural motor.  $129.00

Brian N9ADG