[TowerTalk] Guy Tension adjustment

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Tension adjustment
From: "Gary Stone" <n5phtgs@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:44:19 -0500
Greetings TT,

I am been on this list in the past and made a similar post but I don't think
with this much info.  Your help / comments greatly appreciated.

My tower info and my measurements.  I am using a LOOS #90 guage.

Tower is 45G - 80 feet tall.  It has 2 sets of 3 guys.  They are different
lengths and if that matters I could dig up the specs on the distances.

My measurements:

20 degrees set:  Upper:  280 lbs   Lower: 340 lbs
140 degree set:  Upper:  400 lbs  Lower: 480 lbs
260 degree set:  Upper:  300 lbs  Lower: 340 lbs

The 260 degree set is the longest of the 3 sets of guys
and the 150 degree set is the shortest with the 20 degree
set in between the other two (in terms of lengths).

All of my guys are the same:  the first 15 feet or so
is 1/4 inch EHS and the rest is Phillystrand.  Does that
alter the suggested tension?

The tower itself is perfectly plumb by my measurement -which
is with a level on the tower legs and setting up
a heavy weight dropped from a step ladder about 200 feet
back from the tower in 3 directions.

It seems the tension has been about the same for the 3 years or
so of the tower life but the readings are showing they should
have more tension?  If that is correct, I would sure appreciate
some detailed suggestions on the correct steps / procedures to
tighten the guys.  Each have plenty of room on the turnbuckle for
making them tighter.  But, the procedure eludes me.  I know I
have asked this before but I don't think I have given this much
detail.  Any help appreciated.

Gary, N5PHT

--
****** Gary Stone, N5PHT ******