Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn House Bracket and Stucco Siding

To: Jeff Stevens <jeff@mossycup.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn House Bracket and Stucco Siding
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 07:21:57 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Looking at how they attach wooden lattice patio covers around here (Thousand
Oaks, in Southern California), the typical scheme (as shown on the drawing from
the building department) is a 2x8 lag bolted through the stucco into the studs
or horizontal beams behind it. (The patio cover is often at the height of the
lintel beam across the top of doors/windows).  The patio covers have to be able
to take live loads of people escaping through second story windows above the
cover.

As you say, you put flashing or silicone sealer above the beam to keep water
from going behind the ledger board.  You could remove the stucco first, but
almost everyone just puts the assembly flat on the stucco surface.