[TowerTalk] Aluminum tarnish removal

To: "'TowerTalk List'" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum tarnish removal
From: "James C. Hall, MD" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 18:21:26 -0500
Hi All:

I noticed this past FD that my F12 C3S had a bit of tarnish that was causing
some resistance when trying to nest the tubes after the event. I know I
probably should have been doing this all along, but what is the consensus on
aluminum oxidation and tarnish removal ? I've tried Scotchbrite pads,
Brasso, and Maaso metal polish. The Brasso works the best but really takes
some elbow grease. I worked for a few hours today and got a couple of
elements looking reasonable but with a few residual tarnish spots. I was
beat after that !

There's got to be a better way. I have some Tarn-X, but it says not to use
it on aluminum.