Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex WT-51 Electric Winch with Pulldown Mechanismand R

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <chasm@texas.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex WT-51 Electric Winch with Pulldown Mechanismand RMC-1000
From: <clarksnaz@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:43:45 -0700
Last January I had an unfortunate accident that cost over 5K and the attention
of a hand surgeon here in Phoenix to fix it.....
I was cranking my tower (51') down and, although I thought I could see it all
OK I could not....the top section hung up on something and the center section
continued
to come down as I cranked.....the weight did not change because they were
coming down together....at some point, for some reason, the top section came
"unstuck"
and dropped some 6 or 8 feet....the impact of this tore the winch handle out of
my hand and it whipped around and broke my thumb, and did a great deal of damage
to the thumb and first finger.....many stitches and pins later the thumb is
about 50% usable.....and that's the best it is going to get !!
So, my rules have changed....If lowering the tower...I INSIST THAT A SECOND
PARTY BE THERE TO WATCH AND ACERTAIN THAT BOTH THE TOP AND MIDDLE SECTIONS
ARE COMING DOWN PROPERLY !It is difficult to look up the tower and see if all
is well....a second person standing a short distance away can see things you
cannnot....
And I wish I had 100% use of my thumb again not to count the agony of the
removal of two 1.875 steel pins without any deadening....as I told the
doc.....I believe
I broke the nose of the last person that hurt me that bad......Nuff said.....Be
Careful...................................joel, w7epa   W7epa@ARRL.net