Re: [TowerTalk] wt51 electric winch with pulldown

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] wt51 electric winch with pulldown
From: jim Jarvis <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:22:51 -0400
If you have a winch which does not have a clutch system, requiring
that you positively crank
the tower down, and which prevents a free-wheeling winch handle,  you
are just asking for
this to happen to you:

Last January I had an unfortunate accident that cost over 5K and the
attention of a hand surgeon here in Phoenix to fix it.....
I was cranking my tower (51') down and, although I thought I could
see it all OK I could not....the top section hung up on something and
the center section continued
to come down as I cranked.....the weight did not change because they
were coming down some point, for some reason, the top
section came "unstuck"
and dropped some 6 or 8 feet....the impact of this tore the winch
handle out of my hand and it whipped around and broke my thumb, and
did a great deal of damage
to the thumb and first finger.....many stitches and pins later the
thumb is about 50% usable.....and that's the best it is going to get !!
So, my rules have changed....If lowering the tower...I INSIST THAT A
ARE COMING DOWN PROPERLY !It is difficult to look up the tower and
see if all is well....a second person standing a short distance away
can see things you cannnot....
And I wish I had 100% use of my thumb again not to count the agony of
the removal of two 1.875 steel pins without any I
told the doc.....I believe
I broke the nose of the last person that hurt me that bad......Nuff
said.....Be Careful...................................joel, w7epa

You can buy winches from Grainger for not a lot of money.
A whole lot cheaper than the medical care you're going to need if you
continue to use a free-wheeling winch.

I had a 40' tubular tower, which used one of the offending winches.
The crank-down was so tedious that the blasted thing came out of my
and smacked me.   I was lucky that it was only a bruise, although my
hand was
out of commission for over 3 weeks as a result.

This is every bit as important as having a positive pulldown cable
system in
the tower.