[TowerTalk] positive pull down for Tri-ex towers

Subject: [TowerTalk] positive pull down for Tri-ex towers
From: Craig Clark <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:11:19 -0400
>Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:14:58 -0500
>Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex WT-51 Electric Winch with Pulldown
>         Mechanismand RMC-1000
>Dan Hearn wrote:
> >   I think it is foolhardy to raise or lower a crankup when you are not
> > watching it and in control of the operation. I have had a coax
> snag and pull
> > in two even when I am watching but not as observant as I should be.
> >   73, Dan, N5AR
>Could not agree more.  still not sure why a pulldown is necessary as
>gravity should certainly handle it

I had a Triex W-67 and found that when the tower was fully extended,
the top section would bind during a "pull down" and not retract. The
top cable would go slack and the section would not lower.

I solved it by cobbling up a positive pull down with a length of
aircraft cable attached to the bottom of the top section, a pulley at
the base and my come-a-long. I would tension the top section and
lower. Re-tension and then lower
a bit more.

All installations are different. I attributed mine to the top section
"tilting" a bit when extended even thought the installation was plumb.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

PO  BOX 209
603 899 6957