Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Mounted Vertical Question

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Mounted Vertical Question
From: <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:56:10 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Dick,

The antenna you've installed is not a base fed, ground mounted quarter wave
vertical.  Your antenna length is measured from ground level (the bottom of
your 5 foot pipe) to the top of the vertical.  Your antenna is actually five
feet longer than a quarter wavelength.

Your feed system is known as an elevated feed, which has higher
impedance than a base fed quarter wave vertical.  Of course, the lack of a
radial system also increases your feedpoint impedance.  Your 100 ohm feed
impedance is not surprising on the higher bands.

What band did you design this antenna for?  The effect of 5 foot elevated feed
on feedpoint impedance is small on 160 meters, but much more significant on the
HF bands.