Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Mounted Vertical Question

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Mounted Vertical Question
From: Gene Smar <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:02:59 -0500 (CDT)

     To paraphrase R.E.M., What's the frequency, Dick?  The MFJ-259's are
notoriously prone to misoperation in the presence of BCB transmitters.   If
this is a Topband antenna and you have a local AM BCB station, you might be
seeing the effects of this energy overloading the -259.

     If so, MFJ make a filter - MFJ-731, available for under $100 - that
reduces this AM BCB interference to the -259 on 160, 80 and 40 M.

     If your vertical is for other than 160, 80 or 40M - Son, you're on your
own (to paraphrase the minister in Blazing Saddles.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

Date: 2008/07/10 Thu PM 07:39:16 EDT
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Mounted Vertical Question

Hi Guys,
I'm installing a full-size ground mounted 1/4 wave vertical.  I  mounted the
vertical on a 5' pipe.  The vertical is insulated from the mast  pipe using a
base from an old Hustler 4BTV vertical.  I will now get  to work on the ground
Question: With the full-size ground mounted vertical connected only to the
5' mounting pipe, no radials, I thought I'd see what the SWR and impedance  is.
 I was expecting a low impedance of about 10 ohms.   (poor ground = low
impedance = low performance)
However, using a MFJ-259B at the input of the antenna the  impedance, at
resonant freq. is 100 ohms.  (SWR over 2:1 as would  be expected at 100 ohms).
I'll install the ground radials next... but the above doesn't seem  right.
All thoughts appreciated!
Dick- K9OM

scene in your area - Check out!