[TowerTalk] 40 foot tied to the building

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40 foot tied to the building
From: "Stan Labinsky Jr." <wa2puq@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:14:12 -0400
Hello all;

I'm looking at attaching about 40 feet of Rohn 25 or 45 topped with a VHF gain
monopole antenna, which is probably about another ten feet tall.

I'm planning to attach the tower to the side of a two story concrete block
building with a one story bumpout on one side.  I'd be installing the tower on
the first story roof, using the second story wall to tie to.

I can make one attachment at about one half foot up and the other at the six
and a half foot point of the bottom section, keeping a few inches of clearance
to the roof surface to keep from causing leaks due to the tower wearing through
the rubber roof seal.

Besides taking care to spread the loading of the wall with some 4 foot long
pressure treated 2x6s both inside and out, is there anything else structurally
that I need to look out for?  While three sections of tower would be less of a
load on the wall than four, I need the height, but am I "pushing" it at four?
Would the 25 be sufficient for the job?
Also, would it be wiser to allow the tower to rest on the roof surface with
some suitable wood blocks to spread the load and protect the roof surface?

I've looked around on the net and tried to find answers on the Rohn site, but
to no avail, so, I'm asking those who've been there.

Thanks for your help, Stan