Re: [TowerTalk] dog fence

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dog fence
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:50:07 -0400
Holy Cow!

I had forgotten about my experience.    We installed an rf dog fence
at our place in
Vermont, when my daughter moved back home to go to grad school.

A kw on 160 set off the collar.    I keyed.  Her dog howled.  One
time only.
That was the end of the collar.

But the 160m halfwave was only 100' above the dog, at any point on
the property.

I would recommend that your neighbor investigate (with your help) the
rf immunity of
the system in question.    Unlike electric fences used for farm
animals, they don't
rely on an HV  discharge path to ground.   They are essentially an RF
field, which causes
the dog's collar to shock the animal, when the receiver in the collar
gets close enough to
the perimeter wire, which is the transmitting antenna.
I have no idea what frequency they operate on.

N2EA

I don't know about RFI, but our neighbor returned a dog-containment
system because it kept shocking their pet when it had *not* crossed the
invisible boundary. I don't know what brand, but I could ask.

73

Alan NV8A