Re: [TowerTalk] Hand brake winch query

To: kk4ms@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hand brake winch query
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:33:18 -0400
kk4ms@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Can anyone give me the proper cable diameter (smallest size) to use on a 50
> FT rohn 25G tower installation with a 2.5 diameter brake winch ? The winch
> load capacity is 1800 LBS. The antenna is the cushcraft A4S with the 40 meter
> add on kit. I'm tossing around the actual brake winches at northern tools.

The 25G isn't a crank up and only a few of the very old are fold overs,
so unless I missed something I have to make an assumption that you are
either using a raising fixture, or falling derrick, but we need to know
the method of raising and the heights of the attach points on both the
raising fixture and 25G as well as the weights of the A4S with the 40
meter kit, the rotator, and the masting between the rotator and
antenna.  The weight or pull on the cable can vary considerably
depending on those numbers.

73

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com