Re: [TowerTalk] tower restrictions

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower restrictions
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:12:55 -0700
Agreed.  My strong preference is to move to a city or county where
there is a well established, clear, and easy to follow zoning
ordinance that clearly covers ham towers and then get the building
permit.  All is legal that way and it is difficult (at best) for a
neighbor stop the process.  That is why I limited my last home search
to 3 cities in my area that already had well established and clear
zoning ordinances for ham towers.  I avoided any city that was already
known to be hostile to hams (eg. San Jose, CA) and any city that did
not explicitly talk about amateur radio towers in their zoning
ordinance.  There are lots of cities that will try to limit tower
height to the height of any other accessory structure (eg. San Jose,
CA with its 12 foot limit) if there is no ordinance in place that
explicitly covers amateur radio towers.  Some cities will try to
regulate amateur radio towers under the same ordinance that covers
cell towers.  That's not a good thing for hams.  Most cell tower
ordinances require special use permits, public hearings, excessive
screening requirements, and often limit you to a "monopole" design.
Moving to a city with no clear ordinance is a risk.  Moving to a
sub-division with a questionable CC&R is also a risk.  Some people
have successfully put up towers in both cases, but many others have
not.