Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Challenged

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Challenged
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:45:59 -0500 (CDT)
Jeff:

     I agree with Tom - don't use the chimney to mount any appreciable-sized
antenna.  The chimney may look sturdy but mostly they are three sides of brick
that are attached to the house with galvanized steel straps layed up between
the mortar layers and nailed to the house walls.  A good wind blowing against a
decent size antenna load above the roof could push this entire chimney assembly
over onto the ground.  As others have suggested, a roof-top tower, properly
tied into the roofing trusses, would be a much safer alternative.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F  (who used to work for a masonry contractor during summer
months in college.)