[TowerTalk] Titan DX

To: towertalk@contesting.com (Towertalk)
Subject: [TowerTalk] Titan DX
From: jcowens1@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:18:18 +0000
Bob:

I missed your initial posting and assume you are talking about the GAP Titan DX
Vertical. I have one that I am going to try and mount on the rear corner of my
motorhome, that will lay down and be secured when traveling. I tried mounting
the Bencher Butternut HF9V in the same location, with and without the
counterpoise kit, and never could get it to work. I talked to the antenna
designer and he said it would only work with lots of radials. He said the
counterpoise will not help that situation. That was a surprise. Not a good
situation for a Motorhome so I gave up. It is now on the roof of my house with
standard radials and I find it rather sensitive to radials. It likes lots of
them.

I talked with the GAP people over the phone about the Titan DX and they said it
should work very well on the Motorhome if put together per the manual. No
radials should be requied. I will  be trying that soon. I think the HF9V is a
very good antenna once you get all the coil spacings and radials issues
resolved, but I am not sure it is a good as the Titan DX. We will see.

John Owens - N7TK