Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop

To: Ian White GM3SEK <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:53:28 -0400
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
> Jeff Stevens wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 11:36 -0600, Roger N0VR wrote:
>>> I like the reference to the goop-lined heat shrink. I've never heard of
>>> that. Anyone have a favorite source for that stuff?
>> I've used several boxes of Tech Tron branded adhesive lined heat shrink
>> tubing.  I buy it from  a local electronics shop but found this online:
>> <
>> k-Tubing-Kits/Detail>
>> It's advertised as the "Dual Wall Heat Shrink Kit".  In their
>> description, they leave out the 6 pieced of 3/8" tubing included.
>> If you do a google search, you'll come up with lots of other sources of
>> adhesive lined heat shrink.  Mouser carries it.  Heat shrink is
>> expensive enough and the adhesive lined stuff is even more so.  While I
>> love it, I use it only when needed.
> Even through the adhesive lined tubing is expensive, it still doesn't
> contain enough adhesive for many sealing tasks.
It's not all that expensive, but I realize the term is relative. Also
the 3-M (MMM) tubing has plenty of hot melt glue inside it as it'll
usually form a bead at each end after shrinking. A piece (between 3 and
4 feet) of the heavy wall 0.88" MMM tubing runs about $10 and that will
do a lot of connections.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)