[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [TowerTalk] Long Barrel Connectors - The post is short the connector

To: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long Barrel Connectors - The post is short the connector
From: "Rick Karlquist" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:20:31 -0700 (PDT)
List-post: <">>
In the GPO/GPPO/SMP/SSMP series of connectors, the official
name of the female to female adapters is "bullet" as originally
used by Corning Gilbert, who originated these connectors.
You can look it up on their web site. In fact, the bullet
could be said to be the raison detre of the GPO connector.

In UHF, BNC, SMA and GPO, the male connector has the shell, the
the names are descriptive.  In SMB, where the female connector
has a shell, I'm not sure whether a "bullet" is a double male
(looks like a bullet) or a double female (conforms with other
connectors, but looks like a barrel).

Now back to talking about towers :-)

Rick N6RK

Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL wrote:
> Rob Atkinson wrote:
> <snip>
>> 2.  You say you want a barrel but let's be
>> careful about terms.  A "barrel" is same series on each end; each end
>> a male.  A "bullet" is same series on each end; each end a female.
>> The terms are often misused.   A long rigid straight section for a
>> bulkhead with jacks on each end would be a long bullet.
>> 73
>> rob / k5uj
> I'm always willing to learn stuff.  But in the more than half a century
> that I've been a ham, this is the first time I have ever heard the term
> "bullet" to describe what my friends and I have been calling a barrel.
> Your comments got me to thinking.  Had I missed something along the
> way?  I had a quick look at The RF Connection's listings and they use
> the term "bulkhead" to describe the UHF female/female thingy.  Nemal
> calls it "bulkhead jack to jack."  Amphenol refers to "jack to jack" and
> Amp calls it a "jack to jack bulkhead feedthrough."  Nobody who makes
> these things calls them bullets or barrels.  The only source that was
> using the term "bullet" that I could find was that fount of knowledge,
> eBay, where one is currently listed.  If there is a printed standard,
> issued by someone that counts, that defines "bullet" connectors and
> "barrel" connectors, I would definitely like to hear about it.  Until
> then, my UHF female to female connector answers to "barrel" every time I
> call it for supper!  If it's happy with that name, so am I.  :-)
> 73,
> --
> Ken K4XL
> *** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
> On the web at and
> FTP site info: login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG -
> Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.0/1601 - Release Date: 8/8/2008
> 9:02 AM
> _______________________________________________
> _______________________________________________
> TowerTalk mailing list


TowerTalk mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>