Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys for FD towers

To: Derek Cohn/WB0TUA <vibroplex@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary guys for FD towers
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:52:36 -0400
As a lawyer in a previous life, I have had direct experience with
litigation over tower safety.

Personally based upon what I know, and I that knowledge I am
no expert... but still, I would never erect a tower in any manner
that was not specified by the manufacturer.

Yeah... Yeah... I know there are plenty of towers which has been
up for a long time without conforming to specifications -- but I
would not bet my farm on it.   All that needs to occur is have it
fall on someone, and, ...well, ... I predict you will be writing a check
to the widow.

Now this is just my personal take, and I know it is not a popular
take, but I marvel at all the ways some ham operators try to
out-think, out-engineer, the manufacturer, and stray from original
manufacturer specifications and installation technique.  This is not
a matter where I would cut any corners, and when I erect my
tower later this year, you can be assured I will do it to the letter
of the instruction manual, just to keep all liability where it
belongs -- on the manufacturer and the installer.  In fact, you
can bet I'll be out of town when my tower goes up, but that
installation shall be exactly as specified.  Once you deviate
from that, liability tends to follow you, instead.

Just my take.

Happy trails and 73.    ----  Richards - K8JHR ----