Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Cable Query

To: <FOC1652@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Cable Query
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:31:53 -0400
The best way to grab a cable without damaging it is to use a Klein
grip. You can see one at this link:

http://www.championradio.com/rigging.html

Scroll down the page a bit and you'll see it. If you were to hold the
grip on the left, and push the loop of metal on the right, the "jaws"
of the Klein grip would open up. They're several inches long, with a
rounded trough in the middle. You slip the jaws on the cable and then
pull the loop to the right to close the jaws. You clip the come-along
to the metal loop. The more tension you apply, the tighter the jaws
grip the cable. The long trough contact area ensures the cable won't
be damaged.

Among other things, Klein grips can be used with a come-along to
tension tower guys before putting guy grips on them. They're also
useful for connecting an antenna tram cable to a come-along.

This job sounds like it could be dangerous, so make sure all of the
tools you use are properly rated. Be sure the Klein grip is rated for
the specific size and type of cable on the tower. Also, make sure the
come-along is rated for the load that will be put on it by the tower,
antenna, rotor, etc. It'll probably require a pretty heavy duty come-
along.

73, Dick WC1M