Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Guying when the 3 guy points and the tower base ar

To: W5WZ@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Guying when the 3 guy points and the tower base are not at the same elevation
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:12:12 -0400
Scott Dickson, W5WZ wrote:
> I have a question regarding computing guy tensions for an installation where
> the 3 guy points and the tower base are not at the same elevation.
>

> My guy posts are large I-beams that protrude 3.5 feet above ground level.
> The referenced elevations are to the actual points on the I-beam where the
> guy wires will attach.  I used my bubble level (transit) to establish
> elevations.

Elevation in reference to the tower base is not important.  Elevation on
the guy anchor point should be close to the ground if possible to reduce
the over turning moment on the guy anchor mass.

We *try* to have the guys at each level at the same angle, but its not
critical.
We also *try* for guy anchors at 120 degree spacing but again it's not
critical.
The guys are tensioned according to their strength and again there is a
+/- margin.
As David said, "pick one".  On my tower I have 1/4" Phyllistran at the
bottom two levels tensioned to *roughly* 440#. The top guy sets are
5/16" and tensioned to 600-660# using a Loos gage.

It's time to go out and check the tension as it hasn't been checked in
nearly a year.  I'm also thinking of going to star guying at the top
although I've been up there in some pretty strong winds and it's rock
steady.

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)