Re: [TowerTalk] How do I stop 2"-OD Chromoly mast from slipping in PST-6

To: towertalk@contesting.com, xdavid@cis-broadband.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How do I stop 2"-OD Chromoly mast from slipping in PST-61C clamp
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:37:16 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2008 7:32:21 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I have a PST-61D with a large tribander and a shorty 40  above it on a 2
inch chrome-moly mast.  Not long after I put it up  this spring we
experienced some of the strongest clear weather winds I've  ever seen
here in Arizona, with 90 mph gusts on several occasions and one  that
topped out my wind gauge at over 100 mph.  These are typically
mini-twisters caused by the wind swirling around the ridgelines on the
side of the mountain range I live on.  They roar down the hillside  like
a freight train and I've watched them rip branches off trees 200 feet
away from me while I stood in completely calm air.  When one of these
little monsters hits the tower dead on, it is entirely possible for the
wind to be pushing on one end of the antenna boom while simultaneously
pulling on the other end.  The torque on the system would be  incredible
in such situations.

    One way to help  minimize wind induced mast  torque when you've got more
than one antenna on the mast is to off-set them.  That is, install one antenna
on one side of the mast and the next one on the  other side. That way some of
the torque will be canceled out by opposite  forces on the antennas. This was
illustrated by Dick Weber, K5IU, a PE when I  think it was published in QEX
some years ago.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH