Re: [TowerTalk] ground radial length vs antenna height?

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ground radial length vs antenna height?
From: "Dave Harmon" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:47:01 -0500
I recently put up a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower with 90, 70 foot radials stapled to the
I got everything from DX Engineering....6000 feet of wire, staples, radial
plate and the balun.
Much of this was a direct result of following Jim Brown K9YC's advice
regarding everything but especially baluns.
I studied ON4UN's book on a long term loan courtesy of Jim Pickett K5LAD and
various web sites. After awhile I got so that I could spot incorrect
information....I won't mention any mfgrs but one comes to mind whose article
is just unsliced baloney.
I never believed that a vertical would work this well.....especially on 80
mtrs with 100 watts.
It seems to be able to hear very weak signals as well.....all these things
coincide with what I have been told, read about and studied regarding
vertical antennas......
Uhhhh....I mean properly installed vertical antennas.

Many thanks to all.

Dave Harmon
CCA 97-535
Sperry, Ok.