Re: [TowerTalk] Do Bracketed Towers Have an Overturning Moment?

To: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Do Bracketed Towers Have an Overturning Moment?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:55:26 -0400
Gene Smar wrote:
> Jeff:
>
>      In a self-supporting tower, all the overturning moment is applied at the
> concrete base.  For my short (64-foot) tower and its modest HF Yagi load I
> constructed a base of 10.5 cuyd of 3500 PSI concrete with rebar, per Trylon
> specs.
>
>      For a house-bracketed tower, this overturning moment is applied to the
> bracket, its mounting hardware and the house structure.  (Because the rigid
> fastening (bracket) is higher above ground than a SS tower, this force would
> be lower than on a SS tower.) You can see why using a couple of half-inch lag
> bolts into the siding and wood sheathing of a typical residential
> installation may not generate enough holding force to keep from pulling out
> in high winds.  That's why using a house bracket requires a bit more
> engineering than we have been discussing here on TT.

And why the wood walls of many homes are not sufficient without
modification to hold a tower bracket.
OTOH at one time ROHN made a dirt base and I believe they still make the
drive rods. If the soil is of the proper quality I'd have not problem
using a dirt base under a 30' bracketed 25G holding a couple of UHF and
VHF antennas or even a small tribander.
>      For more info on the subject of house brackets for towers check out the
> 8/96 QST article by K1KP.  Good luck with your study/project.

73

Roger (K8RI)