Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection of rotors/remote switches etc

To: Ed Richardson <ed_richardson@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection of rotors/remote switches etc
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:42:14 -0400
Ed Richardson wrote:
> Getting close to installing feedlines and antennas on the new tower. The
> question is how to effectively protect the rotor and remote switches
> from lightning and if I should decide to shunt feed the tower.

First, I doubt it makes any difference if the tower is shunt fed or not.
It's still a grounded structure.
I have no protective devices in the lines for the rotator or remote
antenna switches. The rotator is mounted at roughtly 80-85' with the
remote antenna switch at 90, since lowered to about 30 to make it easier
to get at. The tower is regularly struck by lightning yet I've had no
damage since finishing up the ground system. (32 or 33 8' ground rods
CadWelded (TM) to over 600 feet of bare copper cable) The coax cables
are grounded at the top and base of the tower using bulkhead connectors,
as well as where they enter the house through a grounded bulkhead. I do
use polyphasers on the coax at the bulkhead entering the house.  So far
I've only lost one polyphaser.

73

Roger (K8RI)